Monday, July 1, 2013

Pirate Playtime Pants!!!


When Heather (of Feather's Flights) contacted me and asked if I would be willing to be a part of her blog-tour of her newly released first two patterns, I JUMPED at the opportunity.  I love sewing for my boys, and her Playtime  Pants fit the bill perfectly. And if you love sewing for the littles in your life, this unisex pattern can be yours - just enter the giveaway below!!!
 First I thought I wanted to do super comfy knit pants - my boys love playing in knit pants, they are so stretchy and soft, and easy to move in, and forgiving in the fit (which with twins who are built almost nothing alike is a big deal to me!)  But I looked through my knits and was uninspired.  ;o(
I then though - ok, how about super fun PJ pants out of lightweight flannel... I looked once again through my stash and fell in love with some adorable robots... but there wasn't enough ;o(
I sat down again and tried to think of the perfect thing to showcase this fun a versatile pattern - and I remembered my winnings from PR&P, my mostly untouched fabrics from fabric.com and specifically the coordinating Riley Blake Pirate Mateys fabric that I had picked out for the boys.  I pulled out the fabrics and immediately had a plan. ;o)


I made these clam digger length and added the little tab as one more way to draw in the coordinating fabrics (the bit of orange is left over from when I made A the blazer out of a bed sheet).  To make clam diggers, just follow the pattern and leave off the cuff.  Hem to your desired length (I turned 1/4 and then 1/2 inch).  My boys grow like weeds, so I have learned to hem things a bit longer than I want and within a couple weeks they will be the perfect length ;op



I love these little pants - I love how easy they are to customize, and I love that I can make them with knit or wovens.  The pockets are quite fun - and my first time doing a front pants pocket on a pair of pants with no side seam - I was worried it might look like this strange floating pocket - but it doesn't, it looks ADORABLE!!!  To get the contrasting trim, I lined the pocket with contrasting fabric and then just shifted everything and pressed so that it peeks out, then top stitched so it would stay in place.






(my baby boy is in a 3T (Heather actually mentions in her pattern that these are cut slim, so I sized up since I was going with cotton - I would do a 2T in knit and add length for my tall boy!)
With an elastic waist and two main pieces  - these are a breeze to whip up (well you know, if you don't decide to get all complicated with pockets and tabs and double top stitching....) but even with all those extra features, I quickly put these together, and I am sure there will be more to follow!

More of my cute little 'not so pirate-y' pirate:


Aye-Aye Captin' I've found provisions

Always watch yer back, lest someone steal yer gold doubloons!


See - perfect for playtime!!!


Don't miss a single stop of the tour!!!!
July 1: Suzanne from Winter Wonderings, Wanderings, & Whatnot
July 2: Rachel from Once Upon a Sewing Machine
July 3: RaeAnna from Sewing Mama RaeAnna
July 4: Heather from Feathers Flights
July 5: Stacey from Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy Crafts
July 8: Ari from Max California
July 9: Magda from House of Estrela
July 10: Sophie from The Sisters 4
July 11: Toni from Sugar Tart Crafts
July 12: Celina from Petit a Petit

5 comments:

  1. So adorable! I love that you used wovens and I really thought it was piping!!! Yay for easy piping look!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That fabric is so cute! I love the coordinating fabric and the "secret" piping! He definitely looks like an adorable pirate!
    Thanks so much for testing them! I'm glad it worked out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE these! The orange tab detail is to die for. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The unexpected pop of orange is awesome! I love your tip about the peaking fabric behind the pockets. As always great job Suzanne!

    ReplyDelete