Monday, June 3, 2013

Baby got Back...


I was so excited when RaeAnna of Sewing Mama RaeAnna allowed me to test her bloomers pattern: The Sweet and Simple Bloomers - she didn't care that I couldn't get to them right away, or that she had to wait to see them until I could create the vision in my mind of a top that should go with them.  Eventually, I got it all done ;o)



First lets talk about the adorable bloomers.  These are the simplest thing in the world to make - no lie.  If my machine hadn't decided to die mid waistband, I would have had these knocked out in about 20 minutes (including cutting time).  I love that they are just a basic bloomer - they will go with any dress, any tunic top, any shirt or onesie - or all by themselves for that matter.

look at that little belly and those chunky thighs!

You can then add embellishments to your heart's content - I added bows!  I can also envision myself adding lace trim, ruffles to the butt, or even some rhinestone bling... well maybe not, but you never know ;op



Part of what makes this pattern easy is that it is only two pieces - right side and left side.  The legs and waist have casings for elastic which makes the fit comfy and forgiving - they wont grow out of these overnight!  I made mine out of cotton; but I can just as easily imagine them out of knit for comfy play, satin for dressy occasions, and a thin light weight flannel for summer PJ's.  So many options!

Look at that cute little tushie!!!

Once I had my little bloomers done I knew that I wanted a tunic top that would show them off.  Open back seamed the perfect option.  The dilemma is that I don't currently own an open back pattern - that needs to be remedied.  I had a vision in my head of what I wanted and couldn't quite find it - I have no problem adapting a pattern, but I also knew the vision in my head would be simple enough to make on my own.  I found this image of a vintage pattern on pinterest and my fate was set.

Found Here

Not too shabby of a free hand knock off  - I think Heidi would be proud ;o)

If I make this again I am going to widen the bottom of the back panel and change the curve a bit, but overall I am so happy with it.  I used ready made bias tape which made the project lickity-split!  And of course the pocket, which is lined,  has a center pleat,  and is bound in more bias tape - and of course finished with a cute bow to match the shorts.  I can't quite decide if I love the small ruffle or wish I had gone with a wider ruffle.
So what do we think of this little creation?

More of the cuteness:

I'ma gonna run....

maybe this way....
maybe that way...

you can't catch me....

.... but I'ma gonna getcha!

The bloomers just released today - don't miss out!!!!


3 comments:

  1. Adorable! Love the color combo! It certainly helps to have such a beautiful supermodel to show it off. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Olga - she pretty much does think she is queen of the world ;op

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun outfit! And I love the toothy grin! Too cute!

    ReplyDelete