Thursday, December 6, 2012

Smitten with Pattern Testing

I had my first opportunity to test a new pattern this past week for Seamingly Smitten.  They create cute patterns that even a beginner can sew (although there are often options that allow you to use your creativity in color and style).  The directions are clearly written and easy to follow.

I tested the comPLEATly perfect peasant dress.  I will admit that peasant dresses aren't my usual go-to style, but I just fell in love with the pleats in this dress.  I also made the matching headband (only to discover after the fact that my ingenious creation already has a tutorial over at Craftiness is Not Optional - well, great minds and all ....there are a few differences in how I made mine, but her tutorial is great if you want to make your own).

One of the things I enjoy about the Seamingly Smitten patterns I have seen so far is that there aren't a ton of pages to print.  Shaped pieces (like the bodice) are printed, but the pleated ruffle and sleeves are made using measurements explained in the directions.  The simplicity of this system is awesome and accommodates their design styles very well. (and gives me fewer pieces to store and misplace)

If you and thinking about starting to sew, I would highly suggest these patterns as a place to start.  Jennifer has done an outstanding job making sure all areas of her patterns are tested and re-tested so that you wont get confused.  She is also happy to answer you might have if you run into a problem with one of her patterns.

I have two more patterns that I can't wait to finish and share... and since Seamingly Smitten is producing new patterns at a fairly rapid rate, I'm sure I'll have even more in the future!

Here's baby girl in what Dada calls her 'Angel' dress:






 Look at those pleats!!!  The dress is actually meant to hit below the knee and will be fixed in the released pattern.  I'm still going back and forth over whether or not I will shorten this one - it would probably get more use shortened ;op

I think this little angel loves her dada!

1 comment:

  1. Suzanne, What beautiful pictures!! Your little girl is one angelic snow angel! Thank you for the kind words in this post and for pattern testing!

    Jenny Hall
    Seamingly Smitten

    ReplyDelete