Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Things I don't know...

Oceans could be filled with the things I DON'T know... most of the time I am ok with that.  I can't spell, I am horrible at math, please don't expect me to remember your name if we've only met once... the list goes on and on.

But there are some things I expect myself to know.  And this week even those things have been shattered.

One:  I expect to know how to take care of my kids.  I don't expect to be a perfect mom, but I do expect myself to know how to keep my kids safe and relatively happy.  Returning from vacation has thrown all that into a tailspin.  As I watch my children struggle to return to our regularly scheduled programming, I find myself at a loss for how to help them adjust, how to sooth their frustrations, and how to meet their needs.  This week I just DON'T know what to do.  My mom assures me they will be right as rain within a week.  But I am feeling like I need a vacation from my vacation - GAAHHHHH!

Two:  I expect to know how to sew.  I have been trained, I have taken classes, and I have the wealth of knowledge that is the internet at my disposal.  WHY then can I not for the life of me put piping around a sports coat collar????  I can't get the corners to work, I just can't figure it out, I can't find a tutorial, and for the life of me I DON'T know what to do.  This is very very sad.  As I look on line I am noticing a trend - no one puts piping on a sports coat, or if they do - they don't put it all the way around the collar.  Maybe they are on to something.  I really, really don't want to take the entire thing apart.

So, I will leave my sad little jacket and wait until the guru of gurus (aka - my mom) comes tomorrow, and maybe she can figure it out.

There is one thing I do know though - getting frustrated doesn't help (I've had my fair share of that this week). So for the rest of the week, I will BE A DUCK - I'll let the little things roll off my back, I'll do only what I can and let go of the rest.  I will hug my kids, I'll potentially chalk my sports coat up to a learning failure, and I will find at least one thing to truly smile at - laugh at - and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment