Thursday, December 6, 2012

Puttin' On the Ritz...

Wohoooo - I made it to the top 5!!!  Help me get on Project Run&Play by voting 
(voting closes Sunday)

So, most of you probably saw my original post for my JCREW knock off dress last week over and Elegance and Elephants (if not, go check it out - there is a full tutorial for making your own, if you dare ;op)  And you may have noticed that there was a lack of pictures of baby girl IN said dress.  Well, every dress needs the perfect accessories - the accouterments/bling/shall we say 'FROSTing' (name that movie!) that make an outfit perfect.  And I was just slack on putting together the finishing pieces after finishing the garment itself.
Here is the knock off comparison:
JCREW's

Mine


I knew all along that I wanted some kind of sash and every girl needs something in her hair!

The sash is just this great sparkly black ribbon tied in a big bow - I didn't want it to take anything away from the dress itself.  And the Headband is an extra  ruffle gathered into a rosette with a button jewel sewn into the center with silver thread.  The rosette is sewn onto one of those great elastic headbands you can find in a 6-10 pack at the $1 store.  Easy peasy.

I am absolutely in love with the finished look - so thank you Leslie, for asking me to be a Bridesmaid in your wedding 7 years ago, so that this dress could someday come to be!!!
(*Oh yeah, everything is upcycled - except the ribbon sash and elastic band for the hair piece)

I am so excited (read nervous) to be entering this ensemble into the Audition pool for Project Run & Play.  If I learned anything by sewing along last season, it is that there is no shortage of talented women in the world sewing for their 'littles'.

And here is baby girl (who I think, just maybe, enjoys all the modeling her mama forces her to do):











what says 'Christmas dress' better than hanging it in a fir tree?

Thanks for stopping by - I hope you like what you see ;o)


14 comments:

  1. So adorable. Love the exposed zipper and color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the zipper is my favorite thing - it came off a pair of jeans! I want to do more exposed zippers, but for some reason I can't seem to find them at my Joanne's - maybe someone is hiding them from me ;o)

      Delete
  2. Adorable. And that movie. Need to watch it again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the dress (and the baby) are adorable!!! just popped over to check out my run and play competition :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty Shannon! Your dress was the one that I was most looking forward to seeing in the knock off challenge. The day after I saw your knock off post over at Elephants and Elegance, I saw little girl in a dress with the ruffles in tulle and a high circle yoke. Though you don't know me just keeping thinking I need to comment here and tell you that, because in the right colors that might work really great for Easter.
    I am so glad that your hard work was rewarded and I have no doubt that you will make it to Project Run and Play. I so look forward to seeing your creations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Suzanne. I totally just had a mind slip! I feel like such a flake, but this week has been way too much sewing (if that is possible) and way too little sleep (definitely possible).

      Delete
  5. OK - I am actually Suzanne - but as long as I am getting compliments I'll happily go by 'Shannon' ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your kind comments. I'm so glad you made it. I had you in the top 5 and I'm rooting for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I prefer yours! but I'm not sure with the blue and gold zipper, but who cares I voted for you!
    what pattern did you use? I like those ruffles so much ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is gorgeous! Thanks so much for sharing all the acessories and the tutorial.
    Donna @onceuponasewingmachine.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on your win!!! So glad you won, and I voted for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations is beautiful this dress and your baby also. Kissed

    ReplyDelete